Can you use a previously bootloaded Atmega328P?

4 years 10 months ago #1814 by Coelhomatias
Hi, so i finished my build and tested all the voltages and all checks out, but then i realised i had to put the Atmega running on its inside 8MHz clock! I tried using your tutorial, other tutorials and so many things and failed every time. I'm using a chip that i took out of a arduino uno board, so my question is, can you burn the 8Mhz bootloader on an Atmega328p-PU that had another bootloader previously burned into it?
Thank you,
Coelhomatias

Please Log in to join the conversation.

4 years 10 months ago #1817 by Ray
Using an ATMEGA328P-PU out of the Arduino UNO board wont work, as they are programmed to work on a 16MHz external clock.
We have tutorials to do it here:
www.electrosmash.com/forum/time-manipula...-manipulator?lang=en
And also Arduino has tutorials in their site:
www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoToBreadboard
This guy has a nice tutorial on Youtube:

Your question:

can you burn the 8Mhz bootloader on an Atmega328p-PU that had another bootloader previously burned into it?

YES, you can burn anything on an ATMEGA328, even if it had another bootloader before. Burning a new bootloader will erase the previous one (is like writing in a memory card).

Another hardware approach is to solder a 16MHz clock with 2 caps into the Time MAnipulator board, so you could use a uC directly taken from an Arduino Board, but you would need to be pretty good soldering to do it in the board....

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.087 seconds