Midi signals to tone generation using due/shield?

5 years 11 months ago #1353 by ZagatoZee
I'm seriously toying with the idea of doing a mod like this to some Guitar Hero World Tour drums - www.instructables.com/id/Convert-Rockban...oller-to-MIDI-Drums/

I have a pair of Dues and pedal shields laying around, and I was wondering if I could in theory use the due/shield combo as is for the midi generation aspects - but also use the output jack of the pedal shield to generate a tone based on those midi inputs - all on the one board?

Ideal use case;

Drum pad is hit, midi signal is generated that can be read by a device connected via the midi port in the GHWT drum kit using the connection methods described in the above link.
Simultaneously, a tone or note is generated and sent out via the output jack of the pedal shield (C4 for randaom eg).

Is this possible, or am I wasting my time?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

5 years 11 months ago #1354 by Ray
Hi, I have been reading the project and it is interesting.
Your idea of sending a MIDI serial note and generating a tone in parallel seems plausible.
You can use any arduno board because does not look like a very complicated code.
It would be basically a mix of the program uploaded by evankale (github.com/evankale/ArduinoMidiDrums/blo...ArduinoMidiDrums.ino) and the sinewave generator program.
At the time that the evakale code generates the midinote ("noteFire" in the code), you can try to generate a sinewave for some hundreds of milliseconds.

So, for me seems plausible, but first of all, you need to understand how evankale code works, how the pedalshield tone generator (sinewave generator) code works and try to mix both together.

5 years 1 month ago #1704 by ZagatoZee
Thank You for replying so promptly originally, I have read your reply a few times and am finally getting to the point I think I can start actually doing this project. Believe it or not, but acquiring a GHWT drum set has much harder here than I thought it would be.

Your comment about using any arduino and the space (packaging) constraints at play got me thinking, could I use one of my arduino pro micros instead? I figure I only "need" 6 analogue inputs and one output for this idea to work right? (Ignoring the original midi output concept for now)

But the next thing to hit me was - can I just use a bare analog output pin connected to the "tip" for a 1/4 inch audio jack - and expect to be able to connect that to pc based gear (usb audio interfaces) designed for use with a guitar - and not risk frying anything?

Is that safe, or does some sort of small circuit need to be put between the analog output pin and the 1/4 jack to "make sure" not to mess anything up?

I know I'm way off the "pedal shield" territory now, but I figure you're more likely to give an informed answer than random googling or arduino forums are likely to get me. If "something" needs to be between the output pin and the jack, can you suggest what it should be?

Again, thanks for everything you do - any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds