Too much noise

5 years 3 months ago #1615 by Daveayerst
Too much noise was created by Daveayerst
There seems to be a lot of digital noise breaking through from the microcontroller to the analogue side. It might be PWM artefacts or just electrical noise pickup. It is particularly bad when using the display.

I've tried several power supplies and running from a 9V battery and the noise level is the same.

The board I'm using is the Keyestudio MEGA 2560 R3

Currently the noise level is such that the pedal is unusable.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

5 years 3 months ago #1625 by Ray
Replied by Ray on topic Too much noise
I am copy/pasting my answer from a similar question:

sorry for my late reply, during the Christmas Holidays we have been away :(

It might be PWM artefacts or just electrical noise pickup. It is particularly bad when using the display.

to make sure if it is the input or the output stage the one that is creating the noise, you can try to load a sinewave generator and check how it sounds. Usually, the sinewave sounds great.

I've tried several power supplies and running from a 9V battery and the noise level is the same.

The power supply is 99% of the times the source or noise, so it is good to check that.

Currently the noise level is such that the pedal is unusable.

Arduino was never conceived for hi-fi audio, it is normal to have some background hiss but not no make it unusable.

Please check how good (or bad) the soundwave sounds and also have a look to the bias points (+2.5, etc). www.electrosmash.com/media/kunena/attach...-troubleshooting.jpg

The board I'm using is the Keyestudio MEGA 2560 R3

We had bad past experiences with Asian Arduino copies, sometimes they have a "cheaper" power supply that injects too much noise everywhere. It would be ideal if you could borrow an official one and see if the problem disappears..

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.061 seconds