Using other Raspberry Pi models with the PedalPi

6 years 1 month ago #1255 by Sausage
Hi all,

I saw below a question asking if a PiZero W was OK to use instead of the regular PiZero. Are there any restrictions to using the bigger boards like the Raspberry Pi 3? The hardware should all be compatible, and presumably there wouldn't be any restrictions in the software either, so I can't see why not. Even though the bigger boards will stick out from the nice compact shape designed to work with the Zero, it might give a bit more of a computational boost to not only manage the effects but also carry out other stuff in the background like signal analysis/working out keys/string tuning etc.

Cheers!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

6 years 1 month ago #1259 by sparko
I'm planning to try this, once my gpio cable arrives. Now I'm using PedalPi with PiZero W. I don't have RPi3, I have just RPi1B+ and RPi2, but I'll let you know. I expect it to work out of the box.

6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #1273 by Ray
All the codes for pedal-pi are programmed with the BCM2835 libraries ( www.airspayce.com/mikem/bcm2835/ )
In the Rpi website, they say:
"BCM2835: This is the Broadcom chip used in the Raspberry Pi Model A, B, B+, the Compute Module, and the Raspberry Pi Zero."
( www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardwa...pi/bcm2835/README.md )

From this image, you can see which resources are used in the pedal-pi:

So the GPIO18 and GPIO13 are needed to generate the PWM audio, having a look to the headers:

Seems that the Raspberry Pi B+ (1+) is compatible with the pedal-pi.
I have never tried it, so I cannot verify that it would work, but from the data seems that the www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-1-model-b-plus/ can work (although mechanically, you would need to use some jumper wires because the shield and the Rpi may crash into each other)
Attachments:

6 years 1 month ago #1275 by sparko
Ok, so I've tried RPi1B+ and RPi2 and neither of them works out of the box. On RPi1B+ I get some noise when trying sound generator, but buttons don't work. RPi2 is quiet. LED is also dead for both RPis. I've tried just take RPi Zero W card, put it into "big" RPi and run. I haven't debug it more. Maybe it's just some stupid software issue, but don't expect it to work as is.

Time to create page: 0.070 seconds