Failure to launch

8 years 2 months ago #428 by Impedance
Failure to launch was created by Impedance
Hi folks,

I put together my pedalshield a couple days ago, and have yet to get it working.

With the guitar and amp connected and usb power I can't get any bypass at all. No matter the switches, dials, or sketch, nothing is getting from the input to output.

I loaded the sine wave and metronome sketches, and have almost no output. With the amp turned all the way up I can hear the tone behind a lot of static. It changes frequency as it should, though. I can barely hear the metronome at max volume, but the led responds appropriately. The tone does not go away when I hit the footswitch, but there is a lot more static on one of the settings.

When I went to install the footswitch, it didn't fit in the pcb holes. It was close enough that with some bending I was able to get it mounted. It is from mouser, I pulled the part number off the pedalshield BOM.

Datasheet: www.mouser.com/ds/2/13/SF17_SF12030F-492761.pdf

With USB power, nothing connected I am getting
U1
1 1.6v
2 1.6v
3 drifts from .4-1v usually around .8v
4 -4.5v
5-7 1.6v
8 5v

U2
1-3 0v
4 4.5v
5-7 0v
8 -5v

U3 (power)
1 5v
2 0v
3 0v
4 -1.8v
5 -4.5v
6 1.4v
7 2.8v
8 4.9v

I've been over the board several times, checking components and resoldering. I'm a mediocre solderer, but I can't find any shorts or opens and have touched up the suspicious ones. I wonder if my footswitch has a different pinout than the one shipped with the kit? The center 3 leads are common, and connect to either the left or right 3. From the trace it seems like the switch never directly connects the two jacks for a "true bypass"?

Any advice or feedback welcome, thanks for your time.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

8 years 2 months ago #429 by Ray
Replied by Ray on topic Failure to launch
Hi,

The 3PDT Switch that you are using is the correct one, basically once soldered it connects the middle row with the top or bottom depending on the position. Like this image:

Checking your voltages there is something wrong but I guess is due to a measuring error; in U1 and U2 (the op amps) the voltages on pin 4 should be -5V (or close to it) and on pin 8 should be +5V (or close to it).
Could you check this?

There is also this Guide to Troubleshoot pedalSHIELD, check that out:
www.electrosmash.com/forum/hardware-peda...bleshoot-pedalshield

If you still have problems try uploading here a high res picture or send it to me to the email (info at electrosmash.com)

I attach you an image that may help you to troubleshoot the 3PDT connections, have a look at it:

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Impedance

8 years 2 months ago #431 by Impedance
Replied by Impedance on topic Failure to launch
Thank you very much, I think my switch is oriented the wrong way. Right now it is switching left and right instead of up and down. I'm not sure why it didn't fit properly, but it looks like I forced it onto the board the wrong way. I'll pull it off and see if that does it and report back.

8 years 2 months ago #432 by Ray
Yes, it should connect up and down rows and not left to right... Its pretty difficult to force the board to introduce the component in the wrong way but there is a first time for everything ;)

You can always verify it with the hi-res pictures we have on the flickr account
www.flickr.com/photos/electrosmash/albums/72157638946029296

Have patience if you have to desolder the 3PDT switch... it takes some time
The following user(s) said Thank You: Impedance

8 years 2 months ago #433 by Impedance
Replied by Impedance on topic Failure to launch
Haha, yup. Problem solved. In my defense, the switch didn't fit either way to start with.. not sure if it's the Mouser # I think. It took forever to desolder. I added wire between the board and the switch, I'll mount it in a slightly larger enclosure.

Thanks for the help all, this thing is awesome. Can't wait to explore the possibilities.

8 years 2 months ago #434 by Ray
Nice to see that all is solved! you are very welcome to upload your codes and ideas.
Cheers!

Time to create page: 0.071 seconds