Loud pop when engaging/disengaging pedal

5 years 2 weeks ago #1727 by martcus2727
Is it normal for the pedal to make a loud pop when you engage or disengage it? Also, even with the mix volume all of the way up the pedal is sucking some of my volume.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

5 years 2 weeks ago #1730 by aalbinger
I too am getting a noticeable pop when turning the pedal on and off using the footswitch. I don't hear any volume difference between on/off with the mix at 10.

I haven't gone looking for the source of the pop yet but LEDs engaging when the footswitch is engaged is a common culprit. In the case of the Time Manipulator both of them come on at the same time.

I haven't done any code hacking yet but it should be fairly straight forward to temporarily alter the LED behavior and see if the pop goes away.

-Andrew

5 years 1 week ago - 5 years 1 week ago #1735 by Ray

Is it normal for the pedal to make a loud pop when you engage or disengage it?

We have added a pull-down resistor mod in the instructions, basically adding a 1M to 2.2M resistor from the input to ground so the C1 cap gets discharged and attenuates the pop when the pedal is engaged:

It helps but some engaging sounds are still present when the pedal is stomped, maybe as aalbinger mentioned, is worth to have a look to the software side and check if the current taken by the 2 LEDs are adding a current spike that makes all pop. Thanks for pointing it out.

Also, even with the mix volume all of the way up the pedal is sucking some of my volume.

I have been testing it these last 2 days, if you have a look at the output adder:

It works under the typical op-amp adder formula :
-Vout = (R29/R25)Audio_in + (R29/R28)Taps
In theory R29 = R29=R28=R25=4.7K, so there should be no attenuation, BUT the analog switches ( CD4066 ) have a 300Ω Typical On-State Resistance. This resistance can inbalance the equation, resulting in a marginal attenuation.

That's an easy to fix issue, just making the R29 a bit bigger (instead of 4.7K, make it 5K or even bigger up to 6K) will make a bigger Vout.
Using an oscilloscope, with the standard circuit I measured:

So the output signal is 925mV, a 3.34% smaller than the original 957mVpp input signal

At this point, I changed the R29 for a 5K resistor:

And the output is exactly as big as the input, showing that the maths are correct.

It is a very small difference, and for the sake of a reduced (easier to source) bill of materials, I believe is better to keep R29 as 4.7K, but please feel free to experiment and make it bigger :P
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds