Pedal-Pi Native Files and PCB Transfers.

6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #925 by ES_Team
This is the Ki-Cad original project:

File Attachment:

File Name: pedal-pi-n...iles.zip
File Size:14 KB

These are the PCB Transfers:

File Attachment:

File Name: pedal-pi-front.pdf
File Size:17 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: pedal-pi-back.pdf
File Size:18 KB
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

6 years 7 months ago #1009 by sarahkatezm254
Hey, this project looks great, and I'd like to give it a try, but why are the board files not included in the zip?

Every children grow up except one gmail

6 years 7 months ago #1010 by Ray
Hi Craven, we publish the schematics and PCB layout images so everybody can troubleshoot and understand the design.
We also include the PCB transfer files in case you want to try to do the PCBs DIY at home.

The gerbers and production files are not included as pedal-pi is an Open-Hardware project but the license is CC-By-Non Commercial.

6 years 7 months ago #1012 by sarahkatezm254
Thank you for your response.

I understand that you don't want to make it too easy for someone to mass produce the PCB to make a profit, but that's what the CC-By-Non Commercial license is for.
Recreating the board from the files you've provided will take maybe a few hours, time that someone who wants to make a profit will gladly spend on it. However, for the people who do want to play by the rules, this might not be the case.

You claim this project is open hardware, but based on your response I have to disagree. I have a feeling that you would not appreciate it if someone would post the files for a modified version (different components, smd version, etc), isn't that what open hardware is about? What if someone can't source a certain part, or wants to use different switches, thus needing a sightly edited layout? For other people, such as myself, the board files are needed because I use a CNC mill to make PCBs.

You claim that everything is provided in this topic:

The complete project is Open Source Hardware, the design was done using KiCad, a open-source and free of charge ECAD tool. All the project files, schematics and bill of materials are public.

But clearly this is not the case.

I do not have any problems with you not wanting to share all the details, I understand that completely, but then you shouldn't call it open hardware IMO.

6 years 7 months ago #1013 by sarahkatezm254
I just checked the CC page that is linked at the bottom of this site, and it states:

You are free to:
Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material

So I could create a board file and post it (with the proper attribution) here or wherever I want, and it would be completely legal. I really don't see any reason why you would not share the official files, that way you keep at least some control over it.

6 years 7 months ago #1015 by Ray
Hi, yes we publish out material under Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International (CC BY-NC 4.0):
creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/

Open Hardware (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-source_hardware) states that :

The term usually means that information about the hardware is easily discerned so that others can make it - coupling it closely to the maker movement.[1] Hardware design (i.e. mechanical drawings, schematics, bills of material, PCB layout data, HDL source code[2] and integrated circuit layout data), in addition to the software that drives the hardware, are all released under free/libre terms.

So we give support, publish BOMs, schematics, analysis, PCB transfers, all the software and codes needed so it is "easily discerned so that others can make it". If you believe that we are not Open Hardware we then disagree.

Anyway all this open source movement is about disagree with each other, different points of views and constructive design, so I am happy to see that we disagree ;)

6 years 7 months ago #1016 by sarahkatezm254
Alright, if you won't, I will.
I have recreated the board file, and as allowed by the license, sharing it for anyone to use.

I have changed a few parts to parts that I had laying around (trimpot and toggle switch), so check that, and edit it if necessary.

I have not tested it yet, so it might not be working, try it at your own risk.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: darkos, Daveayerst

5 years 4 months ago #1594 by Mosse
Hi,
I assembled my first pedal and noticed that, when i drilled larger (for M3 screws) those holes end of IDC connector, those tracks might get exposed.
Could those track redesigned?

5 years 4 months ago #1595 by Ray
Hi Mosse,
The holes at both sides of the IDC connector are M2.5 (not M3), the same size as on the pi zero board. If you have problems with the screws the best solution is to use plastic washers.
Thanks for letting us know this issue, I will bear it iin mind for next time that we produce them.

4 years 5 months ago #2004 by rpecb
I am trying to assemble a pedal according to the schemes in PDF files. Can someone show the location of parts on these schemes or attach photos of the assembled pedal according to these schemes?

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds