How to Troubleshoot Pedal Pi

6 years 7 months ago #1029 by marieclaire85
So I tested the voltages on the raspberry pi and they all seem to be fine

Please Log in to join the conversation.

6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #1030 by marieclaire85
So, here is what I got so far and I'm still not sure what is happening. I measured the voltages on the raspberry pi and they are exactly where they need to be. I plugged the RPi into pedal pi and measured the voltage on the respective pins on the bottom of pedal pi. I noticed that pin 17 is at 2.5V instead of 3.3V. I double checked the components, and again they seem to be where they need to be. The most interesting thing about this whole thing is that when I test the inputs PUSH 1 and PUSH2 and always on no matter what i do. When I hold PUSH1, I can change the outputs of the switch and toggle button. If i press both Push1 and Push2, the raspberry pi crashes. Any other ideas to test?

6 years 7 months ago #1031 by Ray
Replied by Ray on topic How to Troubleshoot Pedal Pi
Hi,

My first issue has to be: do I need to solder the IC Sockets in any particular orientation or configuration? I've been trying to desolder them to swap them round and copy the hi res pic on this post but I'd rather save myself the trouble if I can.

The IC sockets dont need to be in the correct orientation, specially if you soldered them already. I know that they are pretty difficult to remove once they are in place.
Just make sure that you place the ADC and the Op-Amp chip in the correct orientation, they will work the same.

The "only"problem may be in the future, if somebody (or you) change or remove the ICs, you have high probabilities to place them upside-down because the IC is upside down.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sloclone100

6 years 7 months ago #1032 by Ray

So, here is what I got so far and I'm still not sure what is happening. I measured the voltages on the raspberry pi and they are exactly where they need to be. I plugged the RPi into pedal pi and measured the voltage on the respective pins on the bottom of pedal pi. I noticed that pin 17 is at 2.5V instead of 3.3V. I double checked the components, and again they seem to be where they need to be. The most interesting thing about this whole thing is that when I test the inputs PUSH 1 and PUSH2 and always on no matter what i do. When I hold PUSH1, I can change the outputs of the switch and toggle button. If i press both Push1 and Push2, the raspberry pi crashes. Any other ideas to test?

I reckon that if the 5V and 1V6 voltages are still there but the 3V3 drops to 2.5V is because something is happening in the ADC area or with the 3.3V line, probably a short...
Have a look at this pic: www.electrosmash.com/media/kunena/attach.../Pedal-Pi-Layout.png
It may help you to identify the problem, the 3.3V pin (top left) goes to the C13 cap, then R14 and finish in C14, C15, after all this filter if powers the ADC (pin 8 of the DAC). Double check this components and also touch again with the soldering iron all the joints, specially the 40pin connector, it tends to have false connections/dry joints.

6 years 6 months ago #1038 by marieclaire85
I actually figured out what is happening. I had put the raspberry pi in the reverse order where it needed to be. So the pins were reversed. I desoldered it and put it back (very painfully) and I got it to work. Perhaps add a picture or mention how the raspberry pi needs to go on in the guide. Thank you for all of your help
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ray

6 years 6 months ago #1040 by Sloclone100
Hi!

I've got my pedal buttons to work and respond to software input but I'm not there yet with the actual sound.

When I run the hardware tester the ADC fluctuates between 150 and 200.

I've tested the voltages on the pi zero board and they're fine I think. On the pedal though I'm getting the 3V3 voltage correctly but not the 5V or 1V6, also I'm getting the correct 3V on the 3202 chip but nothing on the 6002 chip. The incorrect voltages just fluctuate slightly between 0 and 0.1.

I'm not sure if it matters but I've got solderless headers attached to both the pi and pedal board.

Any ideas? All I can think it to randomly try to resolder some of the joints and hope I don't make it worse!

Thanks.

6 years 6 months ago #1042 by Ray

I'm not sure if it matters but I've got solderless headers attached to both the pi and pedal board.

I've never used solderless headers but as far as you can check with a multimeter that pins are connected it all right.

I'm getting the 3V3 voltage correctly but not the 5V or 1V6, also I'm getting the correct 3V on the 3202 chip but nothing on the 6002 chip.

I think that this is the main issue. You need this 5V (and 106 whichis derived from 5V) to be present.

The best idea is to follow the 5V from the source (pi zero) and follow it to see when it disappear.
Have a look at this pic: www.electrosmash.com/media/kunena/attach.../Pedal-Pi-Layout.png
If you look at the image, 5V starts at the green layer on the left hand side of the connector (left and bottom row) then the 5V goes to C11, then through R13 and C12.

Try to find and follow that 5V!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sloclone100

6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #1043 by Sloclone100
Progress!

It seems my GPIO headers weren't properly in contact. I used solderless headers because I had very little confidence in my soldering. I've got a male header on the pi and female on the pcb, they weren't properly in contact as I didn't have the board screwed on tight enough.

So now all the voltages are correct and the hardware reader program is detecting the guitar input, however I'm not hearing any guitar from the output (the bypass works fine though).

My worry is I've fitted the electrolytic capacitors under the pi wrong. They stick up from the board where every other board seems to have them bent on their side. They limit how close I can put the PI to the board and how tight I can put the screws. I clipped the connectors on the capacitors so I don't know if I have enough metal left to put them on their sides.

6 years 6 months ago #1044 by Sloclone100
Update: I took out the capacitors and managed to put them back in on their sides so now I can push the pi all the way into pcb header. The voltage and everything still are still correct but I'm still not getting any guitar on my amp.

6 years 6 months ago #1045 by Ray
good, I see that you make some progress!
Could you load the sinewave generator and see if you get any sound from the output?
I guess that you already had a look at this:
www.electrosmash.com/forum/pedal-pi/205-...roubleshoot-pedal-pi

Time to create page: 0.218 seconds