How to Troubleshoot Pedal Pi

6 years 7 months ago #997 by BM
Replied by BM on topic How to Troubleshoot Pedal Pi
lol okay, what does it mean if, I'm getting some pretty blocky computer noise coming through, but no guitar? I think I fried the pins on my pi. the pedal lights up, and the bypass sounds pefect. oh and when I move the mouse it sounds like Decepticons being dragged through a parking lot. Got everything to compile easier now so thank you for that info. Well these things are cheap so I guess I'll just snag another one

Please Log in to join the conversation.

6 years 7 months ago #998 by BM
Okay, upon further inspection.. noticed a few things. My voltages are not all ok. the chips are ok on the left side only.(gnd to pin4 on each) on the right side the opamp is reading 0 and the 3032 is reading negative. I have continuity between R6 and R7 but not gpio 13 and 18 (though I'm not sure I'm doing that right)
So then after I think the whole thing is trash I plugged in the monitor one more time and try the tone generator. Works perfectly, buttons go up and down.. So now I'm not so sure. Also, my GND to +5V was reading around 4.5V. And before I even tried the guitar I was getting the constant Pi reboot until I read that it was a low power thing. So maybe need a better power supply too?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ray

6 years 7 months ago #1000 by Ray
Replied by Ray on topic How to Troubleshoot Pedal Pi
Hi, yes, try to see if you can find a better 5V USB power supply, nowadays we have plenty of phone chargers, etc around.
Also I would re-touch all the soldering joints with the soldering iron, melting again all the solder to make sure you dont have any so called "dry joint".
The following user(s) said Thank You: BM

6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #1001 by BM
So, it works! I didn't realize my power supply was still in the box, I had just been plugging it into my laptop, whoops. I still had to go in and touch up all the joints for it to work.
Well I should say, it mostly works.
I couldn't get Octaver to work.. It would just show a new line on the terminal, no errors. Light would come on.. And the bitcrusher.. sounded a like the channels were still separated or something, maybe I'm just used to my EQD bit commander.
Other than that, I've had a few problems with Raspbian, unrelated to the pedal I suppose but maybe you know where to point me. I was using VNC to set up everything from my phone (I'd like to use this pedal live) but my taskbar keeps disappearing. I've tried a few things like

rm -r .config/lxpanel

It came back once but was gone next time I VNC'd in. Ultimately I want a program to boot to a certain preset, and I can change it remotely if need be.

As for right now some people have offered me some downloadable solutions but I don't know how to open Chromium with a terminal command. disregard

6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #1002 by Ray

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: array_keys(): Argument #1 ($array) must be of type array, null given. Please enable debug mode for more information.

6 years 7 months ago #1024 by marieclaire85
So, I bought a pedal pi and built it last week. It is not working for some reason. I tried to measure the voltages with a multimeter. I'm getting -0.49 at the 5V mark. a -0.5V at the 3.3V, and -0.3mV at the 1.6V mark. I tried the output tester and I'm not getting anything out of the output signal. I tried the input tester and it seems like the adc is always at 4100 or so and everything is always on. When I hold PUSH1 and press something else, I can get a different input from the footswitch and toggle button but not PUSH1 or PUSH2. I checked the components and everything seems to be where it needs to be. Can anyone get me an insight on what's happening?

Thanks

6 years 7 months ago #1025 by BM
I'm probably the least qualified person to help you, but my gut instinct is that you need to touch up all your solder points, so you can get the right voltage read outs. That was the main problem with mine. I was scared I burned the boards when it didn't work, but taking a closer look and touching up the solder/removing some excess seemed to do the trick. Hope that helps...

6 years 7 months ago #1026 by marieclaire85
I did that once but I'll try that again tomorrow. I don't understand how all the voltages are negative though. I forgot to mention that I got a mysterious package from ElectroSmash with a single resistor in it. It seems like a 300 ohm resistor. There was no instructions or any explanation for why I got it.

6 years 7 months ago #1027 by Ray

So, I bought a pedal pi and built it last week. It is not working for some reason. I tried to measure the voltages with a multimeter. I'm getting -0.49 at the 5V mark. a -0.5V at the 3.3V, and -0.3mV at the 1.6V mark. I tried the output tester and I'm not getting anything out of the output signal. I tried the input tester and it seems like the adc is always at 4100 or so and everything is always on. When I hold PUSH1 and press something else, I can get a different input from the footswitch and toggle button but not PUSH1 or PUSH2. I checked the components and everything seems to be where it needs to be. Can anyone get me an insight on what's happening?

Hi, the most important thing to start working is to have good power supply rails.
I would start disconnecting the pedal-pi from the pi zero and measuring the power spins in the pi zero, to make sure that you have 5, 3.3 and ground (this voltages are created in the Pi Zero).
This image would help you:
www.raspberry-projects.com/pi/wp-content..._zero_io_pinouts.jpg

I forgot to mention that I got a mysterious package from ElectroSmash with a single resistor in it. It seems like a 300 ohm resistor.

Sorry! in a quality check we detect that around 5 pedals on the last batch had this 300ohm resistor missing, so I just mail to all the owners of the last batch an extra 300 ohms resistor, you may not needed at all.

6 years 7 months ago #1028 by Sloclone100
Hi, I just finished soldering my Pedal Pi and I've got a few issues.

My first issue has to be: do I need to solder the IC Sockets in any particular orientation or configuration? I've been trying to desolder them to swap them round and copy the hi res pic on this post but I'd rather save myself the trouble if I can.

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds