Clicking noise on octave/chorus

6 years 8 months ago #936 by Mostro
I'm getting a clicking noise when the delay buffer code is in use. If I change the speed of the delay, the clicking is faster or slow depending on the settings. It's connected to the delay buffer. I guess I'm looking for some hints to why this might be happening. Is it possible that I've got a bad connection on some component that's causing the issue or is it a software thing?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

6 years 8 months ago #937 by Ray
Replied by Ray on topic Clicking noise on octave/chorus
Usually when programming audio, the clicks are 99% related with reading/writing buffers.
Make sure that you do not read empty positions, or positions filled with zeroes.
It is a common mistake to have an array with 100 positions and in a loop you end up reading 101 positions, when you get the last value there is a click in the sound.
Check that or post you code so I can have a look.

6 years 8 months ago #938 by Mostro
I was just playing with the base octave code that's provided on the getting started page. (www.electrosmash.com/forum/software-peda...eld/14-octaver-pedal)

The pedal itself is really noisy. I've tried multiple power supplies like the Apple usb adapter to see if that lowered the noise. The Apple helped some, but there's still a lot. Much more than a typical "noisy" pedal.

I'm going to review all my solder connections on the back. I know I didn't miss any, but I may have a few with weak connections.

I've got the shield on a OSOYOO DUE R3 instead of an official DUE because they were out of stock at the time.

6 years 8 months ago #939 by Ray
Replied by Ray on topic Clicking noise on octave/chorus
If you get too much noise I would check the power supply and also make sure that you dont have like a massive ground loop with the pedal (powering the amp from a mains plug too far away from the pedalSHIELD mains connector).

It is a good idea to re-touch all the solder joints to make sure that you have a solid connection.

Also I remember that some Arduino clones are a bit more noisy than usual, if you can borrow one just for test it would be nice.

All the audios that we have in sound cloud have no filtering at all.. you should sound like them:

6 years 8 months ago #940 by Mostro
Ok, that's a little more encouraging. The clicking is present in your Octave example as well (on the octave below section). Thanks for your help.

Time to create page: 0.062 seconds