Testing GPIO pins on rpi

4 years 10 months ago #1807 by swaraj
Hi guys. I think I've soldered everything properly with everything fixed, but when I run the pedal and test the ADC output it usually jumps up to being constantly at about 3200 unless I move the pi around to (probably) connect the gpio pins internally. Is there any way I can test from my pi if it can properly communicate with the pedal for individual gpio pins? I'm experienced in programming and linux, but don't know anything about electronics so would appreciate some help.

Thanks!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #1809 by Ray
Replied by Ray on topic Testing GPIO pins on rpi
I have deleted the other topic in the wrong forum, thanks for creating this here.

I am not sure if I am fully understanding your question. In the troubleshooting topic (www.electrosmash.com/forum/pedal-pi/205-...oot-pedal-pi?lang=en) we have a code can test code, so you can read all the individual pins:
www.electrosmash.com/forum/pedal-pi/244-...nd-adc-pedal-pi-code

Is that what you need?

4 years 10 months ago #1810 by swaraj
Replied by swaraj on topic Testing GPIO pins on rpi
Thanks Ray, I tried that script out before, but it doesn't really help me isolate the problem.

Basically, when I plug my rpi into the pedal, unless I angle it (and push down on it) at a certain angle I don't get a normal reading of the adc. I was wondering if it's because I might have not properly soldered one of the gpio pins correctly (soldering n00b here) and if maybe that pin causes some bit of the value read as input to be fixed or something like that. Does that even make sense? It's for this reason that I was wondering if there was some code I could write to individually test if each of the 20 pins was properly connected to the board, but I don't really know how gpio works and don't want to accidentally kill anything by inputting to an output pin or something like that.

4 years 10 months ago #1812 by Ray
Replied by Ray on topic Testing GPIO pins on rpi
Ok, I get it, Have a look at the image below:

In the "red" layer you can see 4 thin tracks gong from the ADC to the GPIO, these 4 lines are probably the ones that are giving you trouble. You can try testing continuity with a multimeter and maybe resoldering those pins. That's a normal problem so I am sure that you can fix it.
Attachments:

4 years 10 months ago #1813 by swaraj
Replied by swaraj on topic Testing GPIO pins on rpi
Ah, thank you! I'll try those out and get back to you!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ray

Time to create page: 0.083 seconds