How to Troubleshoot Pedal Pi

6 years 6 months ago #1096 by Mickey
Replied by Mickey on topic How to Troubleshoot Pedal Pi
Glad to because it works really well for me.. Gadget mode is only available on the Pi Zero, it changes the way USB works. Instead of the Pi acting as a computer, it acts as a peripheral. So when you plug it into a PC it sees the Pi as a serial device you can talk to over USB. You just use a standard micro USB (phone charging) cable, and run PuTTY as a serial console. I wrote a quick note about installing it as a separate topic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ray

Please Log in to join the conversation.

6 years 2 months ago #1216 by haig
Looks like all of my voltages check out properly and the Triangular Wave generator script works and I hear output but the Hardware tester script doesn't show any input for the ADC, buttons all test properly but the ADC always reads 0. What is my next step for troubleshooting.

thanks for your time

6 years 2 months ago #1217 by Ray
Replied by Ray on topic All working but the input stage

Looks like all of my voltages check out properly and the Triangular Wave generator script works and I hear output but the Hardware tester script doesn't show any input for the ADC, buttons all test properly but the ADC always reads 0. What is my next step for troubleshooting.

The connection between the ADC and the Raspberry Pi is done through SPI Bus, make absolutely sure that the header pins are soldered and all the connections are solid. I would re-touch with a soldering iron all the pins of the ADC, and the header (on the pedal-pi side and raspberry side). To be absolutely sure when you finish, use a multimeter to be absolutely sure that there is continuity between the ADC chip pins and the Raspberry Pi board (ADC pins 5, 6 and 7 go to pins 19, 21 and 23 on the Raspberry Pi), this image could help you www.electrosmash.com/forum/pedal-pi/202-...programming-pedal-pi
The following user(s) said Thank You: haig

6 years 2 months ago #1224 by haig
I got it working. found one connection on the header pin 21 not working, resoldered and bingo!
thanks so much for the help

Haig
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ray

6 years 2 months ago #1226 by Ray
Replied by Ray on topic All working but the input stage

I got it working. found one connection on the header pin 21 not working, resoldered and bingo!

Fantastic! ;) I always resolder twice, cold joints are always out there.

6 years 2 months ago #1236 by sparko
Replied by sparko on topic How to Troubleshoot Pedal Pi
Hi,
I've got Pedal-PI few days ago and I have some issue with input or output. When I run an effect I can't hear anything. Bypass is ok.
I tested voltages and all are ok (some slight differences).
I've also run diagnostic program. All buttons/switches react ok. ADC ~2006, but it's constant when I plug-in the guitar. Is it ok or should it oscillate with guitar?
I've also tried signal generator program I can't hear anything.
I suspect SPI pins connection, but I've checked and retouched with soldering iron and all connections looks good. Is there any way how to check these connections? I don't have an oscilloscope, I have just multimeter. I've noticed that some pins on pedal-pi board (that go to rpi) has no little metal plate around them. These are not used by board right?

6 years 2 months ago #1238 by Ray
Replied by Ray on topic How to Troubleshoot Pedal Pi

I've got Pedal-PI few days ago and I have some issue with input or output. When I run an effect I can't hear anything. Bypass is ok.
I tested voltages and all are ok (some slight differences).

Have you loaded the signal generator code, are you able to generate an output?
The signal generator code is here: www.electrosmash.com/forum/pedal-pi/243-...for-pedal-pi?lang=en

I've also run diagnostic program. All buttons/switches react ok. ADC ~2006, but it's constant when I plug-in the guitar. Is it ok or should it oscillate with guitar?

With this code (www.electrosmash.com/forum/pedal-pi/244-...nd-adc-pedal-pi-code) you should see the ADC signal changing when you play or when you touch the tip of the jack cable with your bare hand.
Are you sure the pedal is activated (have you pushed the 3PDT)? the led should be blue (otherwise the read is not updated)

I know it is stupid but are you plugging the guitar on the right and the output on the left?

I've noticed that some pins on pedal-pi board (that go to rpi) has no little metal plate around them. These are not used by board right?

Yes, some pins are not plated. We did this to make virtually impossible to do short circuits, so pins that are close to traces and are not used are also not plated.

I suspect SPI pins connection,

To make 100% sure that you don't have bad connections please use the multimeter from the IC pin to the raspberry pi pins, I described how to do it in this topic (reply #1217)

6 years 2 months ago #1240 by sparko
Replied by sparko on topic How to Troubleshoot Pedal Pi

I know it is stupid but are you plugging the guitar on the right and the output on the left?

*facepalm* I thought that it's from left to right and didn't tried the simplest thing of swapping cables. After re-soldering almost all contact, tested all rpi pins programatically, reinstalled raspbian... this was the problem... omg :D thanks!
However, I can't see any intput/output label on the board and I didn't see that in the tutorials neither (I've probably overlooked it). Maybe write IN/OUT on board would be useful :)

6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #1243 by Ray
Replied by Ray on topic How to Troubleshoot Pedal Pi
I am HAPPY to see that your system is working! :P

However, I can't see any intput/output label on the board and I didn't see that in the tutorials neither (I've probably overlooked it). Maybe write IN/OUT on board would be useful :)

That's a good point, I will mod the silkscreen of the next batch of boards.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sparko

6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #1295 by djehrenr
So I have run into an issue after building and setting everything up. It seems like when an effect is loaded and "while" playing I here a slight hesitation in the sound. If not playing, I do not hear the hesitation. It appears to be "processing". Using a Raspberry Pi 0 W(Wifi Disabled)

Steps I have taken so far.
-Using Pedal Pi Jessie Light image
-Disabled wifi and bluetooth
-Disabled hdmi
-No accessories plugged in.
-Tried USB battery
-Apple Charger and Standard usb charger.

Is there a way to eliminated this?

Appreciatively
David

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds