How to Troubleshoot Pedal Pi

6 years 6 months ago #1046 by Sloclone100
I tested the output with the sinewave generator and got nothing. I even tested it on my USB soundcard to make sure it wasn't my (rather old) amp playing up, but no luck. I've read through the troubleshooting pages yes.

I'm convinced I'm nearly there and the problem is with the output stage. Anything else I can do?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

6 years 6 months ago #1051 by Ray
Replied by Ray on topic How to Troubleshoot Pedal Pi

I'm convinced I'm nearly there and the problem is with the output stage. Anything else I can do?

The output stage is pretty simple, if ou have a look at the schematic:
www.electrosmash.com/media/kunena/attach...dal-pi-schematic.png

You can see that there are simply 2 resistors (R6 and R7) going to a cap (C6) and then an op-amp filter.
What kind of equipment do you have?: multimeter? oscilloscope?...

We have a fella having very similar problems and in his case it was just dry-joints / false connections, check reply #998 in this topic.

6 years 6 months ago #1054 by Sloclone100
I've got a multimeter but not an oscilloscope.

6 years 6 months ago #1055 by Sloclone100
Can I try following the voltage round the components for the output stage? If so what voltages should I be looking for? I imagine the voltage is supposed to change when it passes a resistor.

6 years 6 months ago #1057 by Sloclone100
I just noticed R7 is measuring 75Kohms on the multimeter when it's listed as 300K in the BOM. I checked the hi picture and the coloured rings on the resistor are the same. I'm not sure what that means.

6 years 6 months ago #1058 by Ray

Can I try following the voltage round the components for the output stage? If so what voltages should I be looking for? I imagine the voltage is supposed to change when it passes a resistor.

If you dont have an oscilloscope (like most of the people) is not easy to follow the signal.
In my opinion the output stage is pretty simple:
- If you could measure with the multimeter continuity function (the one that beeps when 2 points are connected) that all the parts are connected (i.e check that R6 is connected to the pi Zero PWM0 pin, that R7 is connected to PW1, that R6 and R7 other end are connected to C6, that C6 other end is connected to GND, etc...)
- Also double check that you have 5V, 1V6 and 3V3 at the test points.

I just noticed R7 is measuring 75Kohms on the multimeter when it's listed as 300K in the BOM. I checked the hi picture and the colored rings on the resistor are the same. I'm not sure what that means.

Its weird because I dont use any 75K resistor in this design, its probably because when they are soldered other resistors add their parallel resistance to the one you are measuring, could you maybe post a picture or send it to info at electrosmash.com?

6 years 6 months ago #1061 by Sloclone100
I checked the continuity and it all seems to be fine.

I've attached a picture of the pedal from above, would it be useful to see it from below?
Attachments:

6 years 6 months ago #1062 by Ray
The components look to be placed properly, the only thing that can be causing problem is the solderless header.
Load the OS we have (uploaded in Mega) in the " How to Start Programming Pedal-Pi " just to make sure that you dont have any software issue.

With that header I would load the sinewave generator and slightly touch/move/press down the header to make sure that there are no false connections.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sloclone100

6 years 6 months ago #1068 by Sloclone100
OMG It works!

Thanks so much for your help, it's wonderful. It turns out it was the software, I don't know what was wrong, probably the bcm2835 libraries. Anyway I copied the SD image (after finally getting hold of a card reader) and it magically started singing!

Best thing ever!

Thanks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ray

6 years 6 months ago #1069 by Ray

OMG It works!

That's fantastic news!!! Well done :) I know that sometimes can be a bit frustrating... I hope you have at least improved your troubleshooting skills.

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds