pedalSHIELD UNO's using the arduino built-in LED

7 years 3 months ago #675 by kawann
Someone recently pre-assembled and gifted me the pedalSHIELD UNO! I was able to play around with a few effects, but I've noticed that the blue LED on the pedalSHIELD UNO isn't turning on. Instead, the buil-in 'L' LED on the arduino is being controlled by the footswitch instead. Why is this occurring? FYI I have no background in electrical engineering/electrical components. Any assistance/suggestions/insight would be much appreciated...thank you and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

7 years 3 months ago #676 by Ray
Hi, Happy New Year for you too ;)
The easiest explanation is that you have the LED placed in the "wrong way":

Usually the LED polarity is easy to check just looking at the lenght of the pins but once is place and cut is triky.
The "upper" pin is ground, you can check it with a multimeter and the cathode should be there.
The lower pin is connected through the R9 resistor to an arduino pin, this is the anode.

Looking at this image:
eyewriter.org/images/data/EW-2_0-manual_...led-anode-scheme.jpg
you can see that the cathode, the negative, the "upper pin" connected to ground has the big part of metal inside the plastic cover and yours looks the other way around.

It is pretty simple to de-solder and solder again this part.. in youtube there is plenty of tutorials that can give you some nice visual idea.
Keep us updated with your progress!

7 years 2 months ago #688 by Oceamwen
Hi...i am a new user here. As per my knowledge the LED polarity is easy to check just looking at the lenght of the pins but once is place and cut is triky.The "upper" pin is ground, you can check it with a multimeter and the cathode should be there.The lower pin is connected through the R9 resistor to an arduino pin, this is the anode.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ray

Time to create page: 0.078 seconds