Some topics about pedalshield

7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #624 by BowDown
Hello. I created a different thread because i wanted to address 3 different topics about the pedalshield due. Here goes

1. Is there a manual of operation for pedalshield due? I mean, i finally managed to build it, but i have no idea what each of the 3 knobs and the 2 switches do.. In addition to the trimmer...

2. I noticed the thread called "How to code several effects in the same program". There seems to be a limitation on the RAM of arduino Due. Can you add external RAM (SPI or I2C) to increase the program length? Will it be efficient? Or there will be too much time to communicate back and forth with the memory that will make the pedal unable to interface in real time?

3. I briefly hooked up the pedal to my amplifier. I say briefly because one of my guitar cables is damaged, i will have to go buy another one for further testing. But in that testing attempt, i noticed a lot of noise coming from the amplifier. Is there a way to limit this noise? Maybe hook up a spectrum analyzer to see the spectral element of that noise, and block that frequency with a filter?

Thanks a lot!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #625 by Ray
Replied by Ray on topic Some topics about pedalshield
Hi,

1. Is there a manual of operation for pedalshield due? I mean, i finally managed to build it, but i have no idea what each of the 3 knobs and the 2 switches do.. In addition to the trimmer...

There is no official manual, but if you read the topics pointed in the start guide you will understand it perfectly:
www.electrosmash.com/pedalshield-due-start

All the knobs, leds and switches are programable. So you can assign to them the function you want. Weel thereis one of the switches with a fixed funtionallity (mixes the input and the output signal,have a look to this image: makerflux.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/pedalSHIELD.jpg)

2. I noticed the thread called "How to code several effects in the same program". There seems to be a limitation on the RAM of arduino Due. Can you add external RAM (SPI or I2C) to increase the program length? Will it be efficient? Or there will be too much time to communicate back and forth with the memory that will make the pedal unable to interface in real time?

The RAM is always a limitation, you can place an I2C or SPI external memory RAM, in theory it will work but I never had the time to develop it. It sound like a cool project but maybe a bit challenging depending on your background.
There is plenty of projects to add a ram to arduino, have a look on google, this one for example is cool:
arduino-related.livejournal.com/1414.html

3. I briefly hooked up the pedal to my amplifier. I say briefly because one of my guitar cables is damaged, i will have to go buy another one for further testing. But in that testing attempt, i noticed a lot of noise coming from the amplifier. Is there a way to limit this noise? Maybe hook up a spectrum analyzer to see the spectral element of that noise, and block that frequency with a filter?

Make sure that the input trimmer is in a good position, to have a good balance signal ratio.
Also have a look at this:
www.electrosmash.com/forum/hardware-peda...ith-background-noise

7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #627 by BowDown
It seems i can't do nothing to deal with the noise. The trimmer does nothing for me. It influences the output of the sound when i turn it but noise is not limited. What is the function of the trimmer anyway? What does it do?

An external filter may help here... I also searched and saw what a humming eliminator is... Maybe this would help in our case? MAybe the noise is coming from the power line of the circuit.

7 years 4 months ago #629 by Ray
Replied by Ray on topic Some topics about pedalshield
The input trimmer adjust the amount of guitar signal you get into the pedal, it amplifies it, so if it set correctly the guitar signal is much netter than the noise floor and it sounds better.
Check your power supply, in my experience they make a big difference.

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds